QuestBridge is a national nonprofit organization that connects the nation’s brightest students from low-income backgrounds with leading institutions of higher education and further opportunities.
We’re looking for a collaborative, self-starting, hands-on, innovative individual to build our Systems and Engineering Team. This small but effective and central team will manage and develop QuestBridge’s database and application systems, infrastructure, web applications, and platforms for internal and external customers.
This full-time position reports directly to the CEO and will collaborate closely with the Director of Data Science and Analytics, as well as other Directors. The role offers an exceptional opportunity for a talented, mission-driven individual to contribute to the growth of a far-reaching entrepreneurial social venture.
- Work with the QuestBridge leadership team to envision and build overall development strategies for data architecture, engineering, and analytic resources to achieve our organizational goals
- Deploy engineering talent to improve the efficiency and quality of our operations in marketing, data management, and data delivery
- Develop data reporting tools that improve the operation and decision-making of all of our teams at QuestBridge in our work with students, partners, and educators
- Actively contribute to the development work needed to meet the needs of the organization
- Maintain up-to-date documentation of technology policies, and technology systems
- Manage our part-time Information Technology expert to maintain and continue to develop a technology infrastructure that meets the needs of the organization
- Spearhead knowledge sharing of operations across all QuestBridge teams to identify opportunities for automation, and more efficient use of technology in operations
- Lead a service oriented team to promote a culture of collaboration and teamwork across organizational boundaries
- Manage relationships with key third parties (e.g., Technolutions, Salesforce, Almabase, others)
- BS or MS degree in math/science/engineering
- Technical Experience
- 3+ years of related work experience, including design and support of new and existing data pipelines, data architecture, database design, data warehousing, data engineering, and database support tools
- Experience with troubleshooting back-end issues on multiple technology platforms
- Track record of identifying, designing, and implementing internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Proficient in Python, MS SQL server
- Experience working directly with stakeholders to understand, document and develop tools and platforms to meet stakeholder requirements
- 2+ years of experience implementing services, deploying, and keeping them running in production
- Leadership and Communications
- Demonstrated capabilities managing multiple projects, team members, and stakeholders
- Strong organizational skills and ability to understand and communicate complex processes to non-technical audiences with clarity
- Strong written and oral communication skills at a range of technical levels
- Ability to communicate strategies and processes around data modeling and architecture, and technology implementation to multi-functional groups and senior level management.
- Alignment with the QuestBridge Mission
- Passion for issues in education and access to higher education
- Heightened sensitivity to students from diverse backgrounds and a strong track record of handling sensitive personal information and situations
- Entrepreneurial, creative, dynamic
- Strong belief in the goals and mission of QuestBridge
- Self-starter, with ability to self-manage and take ownership of work
- Exceptional attention to detail and keen sense of accountability
- Team player who enjoys working collaboratively with a small team of colleagues
- Desire to grow and develop professionally.
- Quick study, independently resourceful
Salary is commensurate with experience, variable according to experience and abilities. Benefits included with full-time employment.
Hours and Location of Work
This is a full-time position. QuestBridge’s office is in Palo Alto, CA, next to the Caltrain station.